Thursday, June 4, 2009

Convert. You're a "Christless Creature"

Puritans divided mostly into two camps. One camp thought separating from the Church of England was the only way to keep themselves from the vile of a Church that was controlled by the Crown. The Separatists wanted a radically new church on independence and of the Book of Common Prayer. The Church of England regulated worship by way of the Book of Common Prayer. They didn’t make a clear expectation of conversion (though it would become even clearer post-pilgrim era). They were lofty in their priestly habits and they let anyone in... not only those who converted (or actively chose) to be part of the church. The non-separatist Puritans wanted to redeem the liturgy, theology, piety, and governance of the Church of England from within...

No matter, the church was central to the community and daily life of the Puritans, no matter which branch, and their relationships with God were equally important. Here’s a female colonist, Old Goodwife Cutter, describing her conversion. These conversion experiences were crucial to Puritanism, and the idea of submission to God was a necessary ingredient.

I was born in a sinful place where no sermon preached. My parents I knew not father, mother sent me to Newcastle, where placed in godly family as I think. And hearing—fear God, keep His commandments—two of which third and fourth I saw I broke. And six and seven years I was convinced thus; and I went to another family where the people were carnal and there fell to a consumption and after followed with Satan and afraid he would have me away. Mr Rodwell come to me and he was an instrument of much good to me. And afterward Lord’s hand was sad on me husband taken away and friends also to this place. And I desired to come this way in sickness time and Lord brought us through many sad troubles by sea and when I was hear the Lord rejoiced my heart. But when come I had lost all and no comfort and hearing from foolish virgins those that sprinkled with Christ’s blood were unloved. So I saw I was a Christless creature and hence in all ordinances was persuaded nothing did belong to me. Durst no seek nor call God Father nor think Christ shed His blood for me. And afterward I went to T[homas] S[hepard] and found more liberty and so had less fear....But I thought I had no repentance, yet I was encouraged to seek the Lord and to be content with His condemning will to lie at Lord’s feet. Seeing such need of Christ was not knowing whether else to go and that he that comes to me I’ll not cast away and so desired Lord to teach me and desired to submit.
And conversion is still an important part of many Christian churches throughout the first and second awakenings, through the revival period and on into today... but has it lessened especially in North America? How important is conversion in your story and those you've encountered?

2 comments:

  1. Conversion, the most foundational principle of Christianity, has for the most part been lost from American Christianity. We hear more of the prosperity gospel, social activism, unintelligible utterances and make me feel good concepts than transformation of character which is the essence of true Christianity. The cross of Christ has been replaced with the needs of self. Worldly entertainment has occupied the place of a broken and contrite heart. The teachings of Jesus Christ and the Bible which reveals Him have been usurped by the philosophies of learned men so called.
    The Pilgrims, regardless of their positions and other shortcomings, stood on the foundation of their Christian faith, transformation of character through the power and grace of Jesus Christ.
    Aubrey Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pilgrims established their beliefs on the christian faith. For many years our country has been built on many different religions.Many of them today build their faiths on what is beneficial to them not on the foundations of the words in the Bible.

    ReplyDelete